Saturday, June 5, 2010

June 5

Wow I can not believe it’s been a week since I’ve been here. So much has happened. I don’t even know where to start.

Let me tell you a little bit about Iris and the base here. They house 1,400 children on base- these children have no living parents. There is a school on base for all of them and they are all fed 3 meals a day. Then there is a section for short-term missionaries. Then there’s our compound with little houses. Then there are the classrooms for the Mozambican pastors. They live on the first base 10 min. down the road. They come to our base everyday for class and meals. It is just amazing. These men come from provinces all over the country, to live for 3 months—away from their families. They come to learn the Bible and to be a missionary. It is a 5 year program. There are so joyful and friendly! Iris also feeds all the village children 6 days a week. Amazing! So at anytime there can be village children and Iris children on the base. It is hard to tell who is who, and they want us to really invest in the Iris kids- all though we play with everyone.

The put us in color groups with the Mozambican pastors. This is the group we will go on outreach with on the weekends. The other day they had a group up and play games to get to know each other. It is hard not knowing Protégées. But we had a lot of fun. We played musical chairs- which they had never played- it was really entertaining. Then we had a big chicken and rice feast with everyone, with Fanta soda. It was such a special treat!

We also started class. Heidi spoke to us; it was so great to have her in a personal setting. She is such an amazing woman of God. We also had the guy from the Finger of God movie, Will Arnet, come and talk to us and minister. The stories he told were amazing! Also, something really cool. The African, Francis, from the Finger of God who tells his story of being raised from the dead is in my school!!! He lives in the house right in front of me. I can not believe it! I can not wait to hear his story personally.

We’ve heard from a lot of the missionaries here on the base and get to decide which ministry we want to work at and plug in. I’m so amazed at what they are doing here. One lady leads up the Jail/Prison ministry and leading so many many of them to Christ. They are so hungry and begging to hear more of the Bible and be discipled. When people talk about changing a nation, this is exactly how you do it. It just blows my mind. One of the main government officials from another province came to Heidi and said that no one takes care of and trains, and teaches the children manners and obedience like her. So they have set up a facility and asked her to teach the children and she can have as much money as she needs. She is just floored!

I feel so blessed to be surrounded by all these amazing students in my class. Everyone has their own story and most have completely abandoned everything to come to the school with no future plans. We all want to be sent out missionaries. I know I can learn so much just from my fellow classmates.

I’m getting along much better with out my luggage. It has yet to arrive!! People have given me lots of things and clothes, so now I am able to function and live. But I desperately want my belongings. Please keep praying they are on their way!

I know this was a long post, that's for still reading!

No comments: