Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reflections



As I research the child slavery and sex trafficking industry I am overwhelmed with such startling statistics. I hear time and time again how children are sold by family and are forced to sell things to tourists, only to return every penny to their boss who beats or rapes them or both. Their innocent freedom is robbed from them. It takes me back to Cambodia, Angkor Wat. I was there, I was in it, completely surrounded. Children in my face selling books, beads, bracelets, baskets, hats-- anything they could make. But at the time I looked at them with annoyance and disdain. These greedy, pushy kids are in my face- shoving their product on me, not listening to my 'No', and forcing their hands in my pockets and my bag. Anything they can get their hands on they take. Little did I realize these children are being forced to sell like their lives depend on it- literally, for they have to give an account of their day to their master.


My how the tables have turned, how I see the same situation through a different lens. It's true what they say, people die from a lack of knowledge and knowledge unused is like an abortion. My vision has changed- how key that is. What other situations in our lives are we looking at through wrong lenses? The children's sad eyes haunt me now- looking up at me pleading, begging. They are hard and firm, for they take rejection with ease now. Love. What is that to them? Do they even know what love is?

Lord, forgive me for my hard heart, for judging what I see with my natural eyes, for not loving my neighbor as You asked me to. It is not our place to judge, for God is the ultimate judge. We are to love, for we 'never know when we might be entertaining angels' (Hebrews 13:2). It is always better to err on the side of love, for we can never out give God.

I cannot wait to put the devil in his place. 'To break the fangs of the wicked and snatch the victims from its teeth' (Job 29:17). Freedom is coming. For the children who have no voice. I say again, freedom is coming. Enough is enough. The time has come. 'Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me' (Psalm 23:4). I'm not letting up and I'm not backing down. Swing wide you heavenly gates! The captives must be set free!!!

There's Power in the name of Jesus to break every chain! Believe and it shall be so!

No comments: